This year, I wanted use the Annual Report to paint a picture in order to have a useful tool for the coming year. We are about to embark on fundraising the remaining $2m required for our new libraries. We are a Council controlled organisation and elected councillors have to choose how much of the rate-take will come to us in operational funding and also how much capital to invest in our new facilities. I have tried to make a number of points to help make that decision making easier:
- we are a professional organisation not some 'bake sale committee',
- we are a team of many - not a one pony show,
- we think strategically about what we do and why,
- we provide an extremely good return on investment,
- we are truly a 'community' organisation
- the 'book' loss in the financial accounts doesn't tell the whole story.