Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Thing 1: Why I'm doing the cpd 23 things course

I have long considered working through a 23 Things programme and never quite got around to it... until today.

Joining a global 'team project' like this will help me commit to going the distance. I much prefer doing things alongside others rather than beavering away on my own.

I decided a couple of years ago that my old 'library' skills gained in the late 80s were almost totally irrelevant and that I needed to upskill - and fast. I started playing around with Twitter (love it), started a blog (to save interesting internet stuff to share with my colleagues), use Linkedin (professional contacts) and dabbled briefly in FaceBook (I've moved on).

However there are lots of things I havn't played with so this will be a way to work through a bunch of stuff in an orderly manner. Oh and I'd like my work colleagues to come along for the ride to!

9 comments:

Dianna said...

Hi Joann,

I did the earlier version of the 23 Things, and was in fact the first person in the world to complete it. Well worth doing, although I was slightly sceptical about how some of them could be applied in our library, but interesting all the same. Oh, and I also won a cheque for US $100!

Joann Ransom said...

Oh well done you :)

WalkingLibrarianNZ said...

I totally agree that it would be great if our work colleagues could come along for the ride too. That way we'd get the benefit of our "local" community, as well as the "global" one. Perhaps if we really enjoy the experience, and talk about it - others may be encouraged.

Helen Murphy said...

I think you're raising a really interesting point about local versus global communities. I'm one of the organisers of cpd23 and we're really encouraging people to get their colleagues and friends to join in too, because while online networking is WONDERFUL, nothing really can beat the face-to-face support over a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits!

Joann Ransom said...

I've managed to get 4 of my workplace colleagues signed up now - which is pretty good for a small organisation of 16 FTE :)

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am a public librarian in Kaitaia and must, of course, follow all my NZ colleagues, so hi. I'm looking forward to learning heaps. Nice to meet you. Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am a public librarian in Kaitaia and must, of course, follow all my NZ colleagues, so hi. I'm looking forward to learning heaps. Nice to meet you. Helen

Merri Monks said...

Joann, thanks for being part of the cpd 23 community. Yours is one of the blogs I chose randomly to visit and read. You educated me about TED, something I'd seen mentioned but didn't know what it is. Thanks to you, I now have a TED account.

Joann Ransom said...

Oh TED is fantastic - I will quite often watch TED videos if there is nothing much on TYV - sop many amazingly talented people out there!

I'm really looking forward to working through the programme - so much I don't know!

Cheers Jo.