Monday, September 12, 2011

Warm fuzzies

It doesn't take much to keep me motivated in my work and today I was floating on Cloud 9.

One of our regulars is a lovely IHC client who calls me Flossy. She is about 55 and has a mental age of about 8. She loves Fairy books and we keep an eye out for new titles to give her when she comes in.

Today she was waiting outside the library at opening time, and entered beside me as part of the official party for the opening of our Pasifika Festival. After the formalities and the Kava Ceremony and an hour spent making a Samoan flower garland for her hair (with a hot glue gun!) she came and gave me a huge hug and said "Thanks for making our library so lovely".

That why I am a public librarian :)

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Aww, that's nice! Certainly how to make you warm and fuzzy. We've got a bit of that now at the end of our Summer Reading challenge giving out certificates and medals, etc. These are the parts of our job I love.